Wednesday, November 25, 2009

New book: Hadrian by Anthony Everitt

Before I start discussing this book I think everyone should know that I love history books. I particularly enjoy those about roman history and those that cover the time frame around the American revolutionary period.

Also I have read, and enjoyed, two other books written by the author: Cicero and Augustus. I say this so that you understand that I a slight positive bias towards the subject and the author.

Hadrian was the emperor when the Roman empire was the undisputed super power over the ancient world. What makes Hadrian interesting is one major decision that he made, one that was a complete change of behavior from those that ruled before him. The first part of the book discusses his guardian, the emperor Trajan and provides a useful overview of his life and times.

As frequently happens when you have a monarchy style government succession can be a very stressful time for all involved (as the Roman empire would experience many times) and on his deathbed Trajan was ill prepared on this important issue which could plunge the Empire into chaos and murder.

This is were the story gets interesting. When Trajan dies it appears that Trajan's wife, Plotina, had documents written that proclaimed that Trajan had adopted Hadrian (it is suspected that she forged Trajan's signature) AND she made sure that the news of Trajan's death was held so that the announcement of Hadrian's would reach the ears of important people and senators first. I've read mystery with less interesting plots then this!

I'll have more for you after Thanksgiving! Enjoy the holiday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment